What is a gift that's gone bad?
In a nutshell, this happens when a gift or opportunity evolves into a horrible situation. Sometimes this leaves one scarred, changes one's life, blocking one's progress in life, creating anxiety, fear, grief, shame, anger, bitterness or sadness ("negative residue"). The magnitude and nature of the bad gift and the lasting effects can differ greatly from person to person and still create difficulty that must be overcome in order to live fully.
1. The gift of being admitted to and excelling in the military in order to feel fulfilled by serving one's country and becoming "all you can be", strong, fit and courageous and receive financial rewards and the respect of one's peers. Only to find after being released that one is permanently scarred with horrific memories, trouble sleeping, haunting nightmares, and avoidance behavior.
2. The gift of being accepted by friends you enjoy only to have them play a mean prank on you (like being locked in the trunk of a car) that leaves you forever afraid (claustrophobic) and unable to trust, or difficulty making friends, bitter, angry, etc.
3. The gift of life only to be given up for adoption or orphaned.
4. The gift of a loving mother who accidentally drops you down 2 flights of stairs when you are a baby, causing traumatic brain injury and unexplained depression, confusing and exaggerated fear of stairs or falling, trust issues, etc.
5. The gift of being born into a loving family that sometime in your life turns bad; perhaps a divorce, or a parent who is a mean drunk, or an extended family member abuses you.
6. You finally start your own business pursuing your passion only to fail miserably and go bankrupt.
7. You meet the person of your dreams only to find that they are unavailable or do not return your affections and your heart is broken.